My mentorship experience with SG Psych Stuff by Khai Teng

As a psychology undergraduate who aspired to join the psychology field, I sought a mentorship programme as I was curious what the sector entails. I wanted to gain a broader perspective of the psychology field and what the different types of psychologists do. Thus, I joined the SG Psych Stuff mentorship programme in 2020 to learn more about the what it was like to be a psychologist and figure out the steps that I can take to work towards my career goals.

 

During the mentorship programme, I engaged in meaningful conversations with my mentor where we talked about his role as a psychologist and learnt about the different steps I can take to have a better idea of which career path that I am more inclined towards. 

 

I have also attended the Mentor’s Circle where all the mentors came together to address questions that the mentees had. Through this programme, I have gained meaningful insights about the different mentors’ roles and learnt more about the psychology scene in Singapore. I was exposed to how psychology can be seen and applied in many different aspects in life. My mentor has also shared the various psychology-related events held by different organisations to increase my exposure to local psychology scene.

 

From this meaningful experience in the mentorship, I now have a broader perspective about the psychology scene locally and I now have a better idea of what kind of career I want to pursue in the future. At the same time, I am spurred to critically think about how psychology is used in our society and our day to day lives.

I believe that this mentorship can be helpful for undergraduates who are keen to have a career in the psychology field and are unsure about which aspect of this field to go into. This programme helps one to get clearer idea of possible future career pathways and the steps one can take to reach one’s goals.

 

I am extremely grateful for this opportunity to be part of the SG Psych Stuff mentoring programme and I hope that this programme will be able to continue impacting the future generations of psychology students. As a way to give back to this programme, I have decided to take up the role of the Mentorship Programme Leader to continue running and improving the programme to benefit more psychology undergraduates.

 

Written by Khai Teng. Khai Teng is a third-year psychology (and life sciences) undergraduate at the National University of Singapore


Calling all Year 1 & 2 Psych Majors for SG Psych Stuff Mentorship Programme!

 

Unsure of your options after graduating? Hoping to explore and learn more about the psychology field? Here at SG Psych Stuff, we have carefully screened and recruited volunteer mentors who work in this sector to help undergraduate psychology students in their first and second year of study navigate these pathways.

 

Sign up to be part of this programme and learn more about the various fields in psychology. Be exposed to a wider variety of psychology events, and interact with psychology professionals through this 1-year mentorship programme. Don’t miss this opportunity to get a better idea of what your future career options may be like.

 

Are you ready to join as a mentee in 2021? Sign up now at tinyurl.com/psymentor21 (Registration closes on 16 Oct 2020.)

 

SG Psych Stuff will be hosting a talk to share more about the Mentorship Programme on the following dates:

- 26 Sep 2020 at 2pm
- 3 Oct 2020 at 2pm

You will be able to learn more about this programme entails and have your questions answered through this online zoom sharing! If you would like to find out more about the programme, join us on one of these dates!

 

Register now: https://tinyurl.com/psymentortalk21

Comments