A Update Towards our 3rd Year of SG Psych Stuff Mentoring Programme

We are very grateful to all mentees who went through the mentoring programme with us. Good news is we have recruited more mentors for our upcoming 3rd year mentoring programme.

We have compiled some feedback from our mentees as well. Perhaps these could give you some ideas as to how this programme can benefit you or your friends as well.

We have checked in with the mentees and below are some questions they have reflected on:

1. What are the activities or discussions you have gone through during the mentorship programme?

"I had many career discussions with my mentor regarding what fields of psychology to pursue in the future and how to plan my journey to achieve those goals. In addition, the mentorship programme has given me many opportunities to explore the psychology scene in Singapore, through attending events and talks."
"During the mentorship programme, I attended a few talks related to my field of interest. In addition, I was also able to secure an attachment at IMH with an esteemed psychiatrist from whom I learned a lot. With my mentor, we discussed pertinent issues ongoing in the field and how my academic and professional career can be improved upon."

2. How do you feel/ think about what you have done during the mentoring programme? 

"I think the programme provided lots of exposure and guidance to help me figure out what I want to do in the future."
"I feel quite lucky to have been able to undergo this programme. I have gained several learning opportunities in this past year and I am looking forward to continuing to work with my mentor in the future."

3. What have you learnt in this programme and how does that benefit you? 

"I learnt about the various opportunities and options for careers in psychology next time and how to go about pursuing them. It has given me a clearer idea of how to achieve my goals and allowed me to form crucial connections with others in the field."
"In the talks that I attended, I learned about different treatment models used in psychological practice. Through my attachment, I was able to observe the application of one of these models in real world situations and gained a deeper understanding of the model as a result. If this model continues to gain traction in the local psychology scene, my prior exposure to it will give me a headstart amongst my peers. I was also pushed to be less afraid of cold emailing psychology professors and other professionals which will no doubt prove useful in future networking endeavours."

4. Do you think mentorship is important? And why? 

"Yes. Psychology is a very vast field; it is easy for a young undergraduate to feel lost in the plethora of career options and the steps to take in order to progress. I believe it is important for these students to receive guidance from a mentor to set them on a suitable path."
"I think mentorship is very important. Mentorship to me feels like a system of paying it forward. Seniors guide their juniors in their academic and professional journeys. In doing so, the future of the profession is secured and quality is maintained. The mentor-mentee relationship is also a source of support for the mentees. The experience of the mentors allows them to give sound, wise advice."

Another general feedback is as below:

"My mentor and I met and discussed the psychology program I was pursuing then. It was something I was no longer keen on pursuing and did not see myself finishing the program. After speaking to my mentor and doing research and asking questions, I decided to drop my psychology program and pursue something I enjoy doing and related to my job."
"Having a mentor has benefited a lot. My mentor asked many questions relating to the course, the credibility of the institution, the difference in curriculum and asked me to inquire more and check on those questions too. I appreciated having a mentor to speak to and discuss my plans, and it has helped tremendously. Thank you!"


Once again, we are honoured and feeling glad that this programme has benefited the mentees in many possible ways. Our heartfelt gratitude to all followers and mentees who have been joining us in this journey. We look forward to the SG Psych Stuff Mentoring Programme 2020! 

Comments