Brenda: Basic Information about Registration as a Psychologist in UK

Image Credit:
Some people may have heard of the Health Professions Council (HCPC) and Chartered Psychologist (CP).  So what is a HCPC and a CP?  HCPC is the statutory regulatory for practitioner psychologists.  However, CP status is conferred solely by the Society.  It is a membership reflecting the highest standard of psychological knowledge and expertise.  Once you are qualified as a chartered member, you are entitled to use the designation ‘CPsychol’.  This is also a mark of experience, competence and reputation for anyone looking to employ, consult or learn from a psychologist.

Registering with HCPC

However, if you want to practice in the UK, psychology practitioners must be registered with the HCPC in the relevant area of applied psychology.  Psychology is a profession that has at least one professional title that is protected by law.  For instance, if anyone is using the titles ‘clinical psychologist’, he/she must be registered with HCPC.  Currently British Psychological Society offers the following qualifications to be registered with HCPC:

  • Clinical neuropsychology
  • Counselling psychology
  • Educational psychology (Scotland)
  • Forensic psychology
  • Health psychology
  • Occupational psychology (for those based in the UK)
  • Occupational psychology (for those based outside the UK)
  • Sport and exercise psychology
For more information on each qualification, please refer to:  Also, in order to register with the HCPC, you have to make sure you had undergone approved education and training programmes which you can refer to:

Being a Chartered Psychologist in UK

After which, you choose whether or not to be chartered with the BPS, and this is something you have to pay for.  It's up to you.  You can still practice without being chartered with the BPS.  So how do you qualify as a chartered member?  It is definitely a must to be a member of the British Psychological Society.  Besides, there are other requirements to meet as well which can be achieved in two routes.

Route 1-traditional (For non-UK applicants)
  • hold a qualification, or a combination of qualifications, that makes you eligible for Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC).  Degrees from outside the UK are assessed on an individual basis;
  • hold an additional postgraduate qualification in psychology that is at least an equivalent to a UK masters degree; and
  • have relevant supervised training and experience undertaken outside the UK equivalent to UK professional doctorate level.
Route 2-Teaching and research (applicants are assessed individually)
  • be eligible for GBC
  • have appropriate postgraduate training and experience of teaching psychology.

Non-UK applicants (You may also be asked for your CV):
  • download and complete the appropriate application form as available in the belowmentioned link with the following items;
  • photocopy of degree certificates. If you are not a Graduate Member, you will need to supply photocopies of your undergraduate degree certificate and transcript;
  • provide two proposers. These do not need to be chartered members, but an equivalent (e.g. line manager or lecturer);
  • application and subscription payment.
For more information, please refer to:

*This is the first post is by Brenda of SG Psych Stuff. Learn more about Brenda and the other SG Psych Stuff team members here: