To be a psychologist: Part 3 (Membership and Registration)

Now after you have got your postgraduate certifications (accredited ones, of course!), you may want to start thinking about being a member of your local psychology society or association, or even be a member of the overseas society where you took your studies. [I am not advocating for the societies or association, but more of providing a link if someone is interested]

SPS Membership types:  Student, Affiliate, Associate, Full, and Overseas members
For more information on SPS membership, please view here
Please refer to the websites of the other societies and associations for their respective memberships.

To be a "Registered Psychologist" in Singapore (Yes, you have to register to be called a "Registered Psychologist" in any country), you need to have (1) A Masters or Doctoral degree in applied psychology from a recognised institution, and (2) minimum of 1000 supervised practical experience, and (3) to be a Full Member of SPS. Information from SRP.

From my current knowledge, it is not a rule that you have to be a member or a registered psychologist to practice as a psychologist in Singapore. However, for clinical psychologists, this might be the case now where they might have to be registered in order to practice, as a result of the Allied Health Professions Act 2011.  

In my opinion, this is a major issue for the other areas of psychology, as this is no regulation and control, and hence may be an issue of lack of duty of care for potential clients, and Professional Responsibility, where psychologists should : "(a) act with the care and skill expected of a competent psychologist;(b) take responsibility for the reasonably foreseeable consequences of their conduct;  (c) take reasonable steps to prevent harm occurring as a result of their conduct" (APS Code of Ethics, p. 20). I should discuss this in future posts.